If you want a server based editor, your best bet is to use VI, or if you want to, load VIM from the repositories available for AIX. Also, I highly suggest you use PuTTY to access the system (You'll have to start the secure shell server *SSHD) instead of 5250 emulation. Set the terminal to use VT100 or Linux.

Can you use RDP to edit the file? That might seem the easiest way. As Pete points out almost any PC editor could do the job.

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects

On 10/20/12 11:57 AM, Pete Hall wrote:
>Is there a file editor (prefer i based) that can open and edit large
>text files in the IFS?
>Somewhere between 1.5 and 2.3 gig the EDTF command returns a "Object is
>too large to process"
>CPFB620 w/Errno 3525 Notepad and Notepad++ fail.
>Jim Franz
PASE includes vi. If you can figure out how to use it in a screen-at-a-
time 5250 window, it will probably work. It wasn't worth the effort for

On Windoz, I use textpad, which not only can edit files up to 2GB, it has
excellent regular expression support, and source formatting and coloring
via source-type templates. I use it a lot for editing awk, windows
script, nix shell and edi files on a variety of remote file systems. It
can convert seamlessly between PC, nix and Apple line endings and
character sets. It's shareware. It doesn't do EBCDIC though.