MIDRANGE dot COM Mailing List Archive



Home » MIDRANGE-L » October 2012

RE: connection issue



fixed

I can verify it had the 250 address because I was connected to that PC
through VNC. I changed it myself to the 249 and had to reconnect. IT's
connected to the I now under the 249. It will be a bit later, but I'll
change it back to the 250 address and try the traceroute from my PC which is
on the same subnet as the I (I should have thought of that earlier).

The 250 address does not show in netstat unless I initiate a connect from
that PC and it only shows

10.50.130.250 50665 telnet 000:00:11 SYN-received which
disappears after a short while.

I verified there is currently nothing out there now for the 250 although he
shows being connected under the 249.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 10:21 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: connection issue

Can you traceroute from other pieces of equipment to the .250 machine?
Hopefully something on the same subnet as your i.
And, the .250 address doesn't show up in NETSTAT, right? Like, no one has
it in use already?
And, when you run IPCONFIG on the PC it shows the .250 address, right?
Just a double check that you really changed it's address and didn't mess up.
No slam, even I make mistakes. :-)


Rob Berendt
--
IBM Certified System Administrator - IBM i 6.1 Group Dekko Dept 1600 Mail
to: 2505 Dekko Drive
Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com





From: "Jeff Elam" <jelam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'"
<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Date: 10/17/2012 10:02 AM
Subject: RE: connection issue
Sent by: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx



The message ID for the traceroute on the system I (same for first 3 hops)

Message ID . . . . . . : TCP3262

Date sent . . . . . . : 10/17/12 Time sent . . . . . . : 09:13:13



Message . . . . : 1 * * *



Cause . . . . . : For hop 1 no response was received within the
specified

time to probes 1 to 3.

Yes the 249 address shows up in netstat

10.50.130.249 50757 telnet 000:16:21 Established
10.50.130.249 50760 telnet 000:15:58 Established

Thanks,

Jeff






-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:54 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: connection issue

"bombs out" is a bit techie for me. Could you simplify that by telling me
the error message id and any reason codes or such stuff that you get?

Does that new IP address show up in NETSTAT?


Rob Berendt
--
IBM Certified System Administrator - IBM i 6.1 Group Dekko Dept 1600 Mail
to: 2505 Dekko Drive
Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com





From: "Jeff Elam" <jelam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Date: 10/17/2012 09:45 AM
Subject: connection issue
Sent by: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx



Good morning,



I've had this issue before. I don't remember what I did to fix it though.
I
have a laptop at a remote location. If I assign it IP address
10.50.130.250
it will not connect to the system I (V6R1) using Client Access. If I
change
the IP address to say 10.50.130.249 it connects to the system I with no
problems.



Using the IP address 10.50.130.250

I've tried the CWBPING and receive error CWBC01003 Socket error, function
connect <> returned 10060.

I can't ping the system I from the PC. I can't ping that address from the
system I either.

I've performed a tracert from the PC and I can see it connect to the
router
at the remote location and the router at the location of the System I then
it times out.

I've performed a traceroute from the system I and it bombs immediately.



When I try to connect from the PC I can see a job in the TCP/IP status
area



10.50.130.250 50665 telnet 000:00:11 SYN-received



This job goes away after a short while.



If I perform the above with the 10.50.130.249 address everything works
fine.
I have multiple devices at this location that access the system I with no
issues.



The 250 address might have been used by another device at one point in
time.
It's almost like the system I is holding something from that connection
(mac
address or something), not allowing the new device to connect with that
address.



The difference between the two IP addresses is one has full internet
access
the other address is filtered through a website filtering device. I've
worked around the issue by opening up the 10.50.130.249 address to full
internet access but I'm still curious as to what the issue might be.







Thanks,



Jeff






Return to Archive home page | Return to MIDRANGE.COM home page

This mailing list archive is Copyright 1997-2014 by MIDRANGE dot COM and David Gibbs as a compilation work. Use of the archive is restricted to research of a business or technical nature. Any other uses are prohibited. Full details are available here. If you have questions about this, please contact