Has anyone heard anything about this device? It sits on the host fiber and looks like a tape library then passes the save out to SAN.
Can you really do "bare metal restores" (D IPL) from it?
Storage Director for the IBM i and Power Systems Environments
* Significantly reduces IBM i backup windows
* Increases data reliability of Backup and Restore
* Runs under all na7ve applica7ons (BRMS, MMS, Savlib) and u7li7es running physical tape
* Requires no changes to exis7ng backup procedures
* Supports iOS V5R3 to V7R1 and VIOS, Linux, AIX
* Connects to the IBM i via standard internal Fibre Channel cards
* Seen by the IBM i as an actual IBM 3584 Tape Library with any version LTO tape drive
* Auto‐configures as na7ve IBM technology to the IBM i, allowing Storage Director
to func7on exactly as an IBM 3584 would, including bare metal restore on an IBM i
* High‐performance backup and restore (over 1.4 GB/sec)
* Supports mul7ple LPARS and data streams
* Supports any physical tape library technology: IBM, Quantum, Oracle/STK, HP, etc.
* Writes physical tape in IBM i na7ve format (restore without Storage Director)
* Achieves data compression rates in cache of 4X to 15X (hardware compression)
* Allows akachment of newer technologies to the IBM i, such as LTO5 and deduplicaton
* Data at rest can be AES 256 Encrypton capable and compliant (cache policy)
* Enhanced WAN replicaton capability to electronically move data to remote locatons, either to
another Storage Director or to a remotely managed physical tape library
More here: http://tinyurl.com/8j8ukxw
Good links at the bottom of the very long page.
I love this stuff. Today my 't's are coming out '7's.
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail, including any attachments and/or linked documents, is intended for the sole use of the intended addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, proprietary, or otherwise protected by law. Any unauthorized review, dissemination, distribution, or copying is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the original sender immediately by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message and any attachments. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of ITT Corporation.