Extract from V7r1 BRMS pdf :

*"Due to the nature of batch restricted state processing, which ends the
system console session*, BRMS ignores Signoff Exception processing when
running in this mode." So console will not work.

Jim, you may try this strategy on one of your V7R1 test box.

1. Schedule a job in AJS or native schedular for the backup ( which calls
the control group). The job should be submitted in QCTL sbs.

2. Once the job gets submitted in QCTL sbs, it will start the control
group.

STRBKUBRM CTLGRP(OURSYSTEM) SBMJOB(*CTLSBS)

2. End all the subsystem's from inside the control group. Like the one I
suggested earlier.

Backup
Seq Items Exit command
10 *EXIT CALL SHUTDOWN
20 *EXIT *ENDSBS SBS(*ALL) DELAY(30) BCHTIMLMT(480)
* 30 *EXIT DLYJOB DLY(300)
40 *EXIT SNDMSG MSG('XXXXXXX SPECIAL RESTRICTED BACKUP STARTED')
50 *SAVSYS
60 *IBM

you mentioned that your backup controlgroup is like *SYSTEM.

You may also add a sequence after 30 to call a program to check the
restricted state. (as you have mentioned the system does not come to a
restricted state, so the job just hangs at this point.)

After 15-20 minutes of backup submission time, look for SRC *A900 3C70 on
HMC.* System should be in restricted state to let the batch restricted
backup run.

I am just trying to help you. If the above strategy doesn't work, then I
would definitely like to hear the solution from IBM.

Thanks,

Ankush Agrawal
On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 12:48 PM, Jim Oberholtzer <