The way DHCP leases work is that when they are HALF done, the client begins attempting to negotiate an extension. So long as the DHCP server is still running and the IP addresses the client is using is still a valid IP for the DHCP server the client will simply extend it's lease. During continuous use only if the IP address is no longer valid for the server will the client get a new address. As a consequence a typical device may have the same address for it's entire life!

Think about the consequences of a device simply getting a new IP address at 3:09:18 in the afternoon while transmitting payroll to the bank, or sending a large file to the file server, or downloading a large file from repository, or any HTTPS connection, or SSH connection, or for that matter TN5250 :-)

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis.