I think you'll need to step through it character by character looking for
delimiters, then extract the value based on the location of the
delimiters. I had to do a ton of that sort of stuff way back when. It's a
royal pain, but it does work. Much easier in a higher level language. If
you're doing a lot of that, check out rexx. I'm pretty sure it can do
that a lot more easily, but I haven't worked with it in 15 years, so I
really can't help you with it.