On 9/18/2012 1:57 PM, Stone, Joel wrote:
My company is considering separating dev from test.

A good idea in general.

For this survey: DEV is where programmers play; TEST is where
business analysts and users try out new stuff, PROD is where the
money is made.

Please respond only if NOT a software vendor - Im sure rules are much
different when there are thousands of installs involved at a software

Well, I do work for a change control vendor (PTC, we produce Implementer [formerly MKS]) and I have a lot of interaction with customers that use our product.

What I've observed is the setup's vary significantly ... from same machine with different library lists to same machine but separate LPAR's, to completely separate machines.

In a number of cases, there are multiple levels of TEST environments.

In some cases, I think, the separation of function is industry mandated.