Joel,
I don't see a reply to your "join update" question, so here is my input:

DB2 supports an update with "correlated subqueries"

Here are examples from some of my junk:

Example 1:
UPDATE BASDBW1/OM06 as t01
SET t01.CALTYP = '2 '
where t01.outnum not in ( select t02.outnum
from basdbw1/om06 as t02
where t02.outnum = t01.outnum and
t02.caltyp = '2 ' and
t02.calidf = t01.calidf ) and
t01.calrte = '10 ' and
t01.caltyp = '3 '

Example 2:
UPDATE basdbc5/om01 tgt
SET natoutnum = ( SELECT natoutnum
FROM usrgdt850/om01 src
WHERE tgt.outnum = src.outnum)
WHERE outnum = ( SELECT outnum
FROM usrgdt850/om01 src2
WHERE tgt.outnum = src2.outnum )

The subqueries are the query statements within ()

The main idea is that between the "update query" and
the subquery(s), the SET must operate on a single row
at a time.

It is ok to update one or more rows in
the target table, but only one row can be updated at
a time.

One guideline I use is to start with a select to see
if the record set looks like what I expect to update.

The next guideline is to specify all required keys in
the WHERE clause of the subquery.

If you have more than one subquery, make sure the WHERE
clauses are identical, or nearly identical.

Hope this makes helps.