From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Scott Klement
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:19 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: New COMMON Conference

FWIW.... I agree with your users. When I see green screen, I go "ewwwwww",
too.

However, I don't like that you are associating GreenScreen=IBMi, and
GUI=Windows.

You can (and should!) write GUI apps on IBM i. I've been telling people to
do that for 10+ years. Your users shouldn't know or care where the data
resides... what they should know/care about is that it's stable, and always
there when they need it. And IBM i excels at that.

Take iPhone, iPad, Android phones, Blackberries... all easy to use GUI

interfaces, none of them are Windows in any way shape or form. How about
XBox, Wii, PS3... all easy to use GUI devices, no Windows involved.

IBM i can be a major player in that world too, using GUI technologies like
web. The only reason you still code green screens is because you (or
someone else in your environment) has made that choice.

Note that we actively discourage green-screen sessions at COMMON. (Much
more so than Richard's .NET sessions!)