Thanks for the information on how the controllers are managed. Very
logical that the system would just take care of it.

John McKee

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Porterfield, Sean
<SPorterfield@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Whether you use static or dynamic addresses, if you specify a workstation name for connection, that's the name you get to use. I can't imagine manually creating all the devices, but we have thousands of users. Our system automatically created all of the controllers for the devices. I didn't pay attention to how many are on each, but the system decided where to put them.
--
Sean Porterfield

-----Original Message-----
From: John McKee

<snip>

We have autovert turned off. Application software associates printers with specific devices, so they have been manually created. We are moving to DHCP, so (for three months) autovert could be turned on and problem >might< go away. Most workstations use static address, though. Then, I wonder what the i does with autovert turned on and virtual controllers get filled. Suppose you have three virtual controllers, and two are filled. Does autovert look at the virtual controllers sequentially to find one with an available position?
Or,does the process post a failure message to QSYSOPR and move on?

This email is confidential, intended only for the named recipient(s) above and may contain information that is privileged. If you have received this message in error or are not the named recipient(s), please notify the sender immediately and delete this email message from your computer as any and all unauthorized distribution or use of this message is strictly prohibited. Thank you.