Thanks Jim.
(And John, the QAUTOCFG is 1 and the QAUTOVRT is 200)

The route list is pretty simple since I have only the local host and this one Ethernet adapter defined:

Route Subnet Next Route
Opt Destination Mask Hop Available
127.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 *DIRECT *YES
192.168.200.0 255.255.255.0 *DIRECT *YES
224.0.0.0 240.0.0.0 *DIRECT *YES
224.0.0.0 240.0.0.0 *DIRECT *YES
*DFTROUTE *NONE 192.168.200.2 *YES

I would have *expected* a route like this to be present as well:
192.168.200.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.200.2 *YES

I DO see that route on the 520 and I would have expected the routing logic to send all 192.168.200.0 traffic to the 192.168.200.2 host because it was on the same subnet. Not sure what *DIRECT means but I assume that it thinks all the hosts for 192.168.200.0 are local and don't need to go out the gateway. I am beginning to think that something is wrong deep in the bowels of TCP/IP. Perhaps an IPV6 issue (I have seen some of that in other areas but not on the i).

As an interesting side note: When I deleted the original interface, route and then line and recreated them, I got a "failed" status when I first attempted to start the interface. The job log said that there was another adapter that already had that IP address (there wasn't). Turns out that the controller and device that was created when line started didn't get deleted along with the line. I originally played with an alternate addresses thinking I had a duplicate on the network and it turns out it was the "old" descriptions carried by the original line.

Perhaps I'll give IBM a ring and see what they think.

Pete Helgren
Value Added Software, Inc
www.petesworkshop.com
GIAC Secure Software Programmer-Java