Just FWIW...

*USERASCII really just means that the system doesn't know or care what string of bytes is in the spooled file. It's just going to send that string of bytes, as-is, to the printer.

You could, literally, create a spooled with any arbitrary string of bytes, in any format you want, and call it *USERASCII.

In order for a computer program to know how to view, transform, print, etc data that's in *USERASCII format, it'd have to be omniscient, since the data could literally be in any format you can find or dream-up.

Software could potentially be written that is able to detect any of the common formats (PCL, PostScript, PDF, PPDS, plain text, etc) and automatically convert those formats to PDF, but there's no way it could handle everything that's possible.

Please remember when you talk about *USERASCII, you aren't talking about a specific format. It makes the whole rest of the conversation make a lot more sense.

Jeff Young wrote:
All,
Is there any product for the i that will allow the email of a *USERASCII
spool file as a PDF file?
Since the *USERASCII spool file can not be viewed or copied, my current
email program is not able to do this.

Thanks,