I did try building an LF and it appears that the key fields do NOT need to be the same length.

Although I need to add a GROUP key in front of each format's key, which appears to be the main stumbling block.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Carel Teijgeler
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2012 3:42 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: can I set up a multi-format logical file in DDS with one key field having a default fixed value?

Joel,

This might be possible, but all key fields should be the same length (can
be done in LF IIRC). Compiler may have issues then.

Then you chain with your key value to the LF

In the I-specs you have defined the different RCDFMT with an indicator
assigned to it. The indicator is turned on for the RCDFMT read based on the
CHAIN.
(based on my fading memory).

But as others has stated, you have to individualy chain for each data set.

Regards,
Carel Teijgeler