I did take a look at your original link and at least for the pages that were available, and I get what he is saying but the world doesn't consist of perfectly paired punches. Thus, if you create a single record that has both punch in an out buckets, how do you handle the punch in at 8am and forgot to punch out at lunch but I came back in at 13:00 and want to Punch in. Does that start a whole new record or does the IN punch go into the OUT bucket of the first record? If I Punch IN at 08:00 and then accidentally punch IN instead of OUT at noon, do I start a new record, issue an error, or what? Maybe I left to do an errand at 11:00 and now I really AM punching in at noon. What then?

Yeah, all these things could be handled with a web application or a more interactive app but do you really want the clock to be asking 20 questions when there is a line of people waiting to punch out because someone forgot to punch in or out? Sometimes the technically desirable approach comes up against the capriciousness of a human. However, it is good food for thought and I'll take a redesign into consideration as I go forward.

Going back to your suggestion. It works! on this limited data set. I'll try it on the couple of hundred thousand punch records I have and see what happens.....

Thanks for the pointers.

Pete Helgren
Value Added Software, Inc
www.petesworkshop.com