OK, cool...that seems to match what I expected...

Also found this:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv6/v6r0/topic/com.ibm.mq.amqwac.doc/iq10270_.htm
Clients
WebSphere® MQ for iSeries®, V6.0 supports connection from any MQ V5.1
or later client.
However, only the WebSphere MQ Java or JMS client will run on iSeries clients.

Which again is what I thought...

What's funny is that the person telling me the iSeries couldn't talk
to non-Java clients was an "MQ Expert" with us.ibm.com at the end of
their email address :)

Granted, they did say they weren't iSeries experts ;)

Charles