Something like this, maybe:

create view codedesc (codetype, code, desc) as
(select 'State', statecde, statename from statefile)
union
select 'Artist', art_cde, art_name from Artistfile)
union
)

Not sure what will happen if the fields in the different files have different lengths. You may have to put the longest first.

Or maybe try

(select varchar('State',20), ... as needed.

However, in the green screen STRSQL I just ran this, which should also work on your machine:

create view qtemp/ccc (type, code, desc) as (select
'type1', lstnam, state from qiws/QCUSTCDT union
select 'MuchLonger', state, lstnam from qiws/QCUSTCDT)
View CCC created in QTEMP.

Sam