Should we infer the problem, an obviously illogical effect, persists?

FWiW the effect could reflect an abnormal [logical or data damage] condition with the Data Queue object. That is, a condition for which the generic object /touch/ of only the LIC header rather than the "data portion" of the object will not experience an error, but an attempt to actually /use/ the object will experience a failure. The API needs to be able to utilize effectively the full capability of the object, including the data portion, because that request is to add a message\entry to the queue. It is possible that the notification of a LIC condition as a LIC exception, is manifest in a manner which causes the QSNDDTAQ to "accidentally" diagnose that condition as CPF9801; that would be a likely outcome, for a MCH3402. If so, a trace would expose that [maybe only as an INTXHINV; i.e. the exception may not be visible with "data" in the trace record], and a DMPOBJ might also manifest an indication of the same issue. There is also the more mundane potential that the *DTAQ object is a DDM data queue and the error is diagnosing that the target object is missing; I do not recall enough about those objects to recall if that would make sense with what was given in\by the OP.

Regards, Chuck