Don't know how many shops are using. The bottom line is not complex.
You have a single program that gets called when any trigger fires. It
then looks up the service program is attached to that table and
executes it.

The reason for using the mediator is simple. You can turn a trigger on
or off instantly or move a new version in and instantly have everyone
using the new version. There is no locks on the service program and
the performance is excellent.

To do that, there are a few pieces. You have a mediator, a service
program to implement the business logic and a maintenance screen to
maintain the table and trigger relations. The only part that changes
is the service program that implements the business logic.

As I said, if I was doing something like an ETL I would use a data
queue or a RCVJRNE. At my company, we needed real time updates so the
trigger mediator was the only way to go.