Understood. I was just editorializing with regard to the conclusion of the referenced thread(s); i.e. that a private response from an IBMer via a PMR is not a public response from IBM, which depends on the APAR as the official public means of communicating responses to identified defects.

When IBM closes a PMR without an APAR for an admitted defect, they are doing a disservice to their customers. And although there is no obligation to do so, customers could insist on an APAR for an admitted defect, for the benefit of others; i.e. such that there would be an actual document to which one could point, or to direct another [such as their own management perhaps], what was the response from IBM to that defect.

FWiW the same concerns as described were expressed in that "long conversation" were overcome in a prior like-incident, by changing the Record Format Level Identifier that is generated for the SQL object, to match the [incorrect value generated for the] DDS-created object. That was deemed acceptable as a resolution because SQL does not know\care about the RcdFmt LvlId and thus will never issue a LvlChk message CPF4131. That resolution however only came after escalating the issue *beyond* Level-2 [support\service], to Level-3 [development]. The DB2 for i "architect" deemed that the intent of the Database was that the compatibility of the RcdFmtLvlId between the "same" column attributes [not limited by intrinsic differences betwixt, such as requirement for *ISO on DATE] was more important than the impacts to some existing SQL objects. Anyone who experiences the issue with VARCHAR trying to match VARLEN could just as well try again to push the issue, esp. given there is no specific APAR documenting that IBM will do nothing to /correct/ the defect.

Regards, Chuck