Just as a test I create a table using SQL and then used EXCEL to
import from the AS/400 table and it came in as a date.

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 3:16 PM, Dennis Lovelady <iseries@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In the last few weeks I was looking for a solution to create a csv file
that would end up in a spreadsheet.

In one of  my many searches, I found a very short article(paragraph)
that went into a method using a "script"??? that looked like this.
=date(mm dd yy) or something very similar.

This was placed in the field prior to the date so that Excel would
convert the date correctly.

I think this is placed in the field or prior field.

Of course this is all tied back to the problems using cpytoimpf and
date fields.

Anybody ever seen this ?

I'm not sure what you might have read; this has bitten us more times than I
care to recollect.  Since the format is, by definition, vanilla and
feature-challenged, I don't expect any change or help in that area.

Macrosloth's official answer to this
(http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2007-excel/issue-wit
h-special-characters-being-converted-from/884b038a-5138-4ad6-9ec6-7adb23f620
5f?auth=1#d4db524c-88c6-45e2-b099-9fad42b0def9) is that importing such data
must be done manually.

You may have some success with this (as we did) by outputting your dates
like "31-Jul-2015"  But the bigger problem I see with .csv is its insistence
on interpreting anything that looks like a number (even if it's "quoted") as
a number.

Dennis Lovelady
"If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a conclusion."
       -- George Bernard Shaw