On 04 Jun 2012 09:13, Booth Martin wrote:
I am wondering if you could have used OPNQRYF and chosen and
arranged the records you wanted to read based on the query selection,
then CLOF the file. Repeat until done.

If I interpret correctly what is implied... No. The CL and OPNQRYF restrictions on opens will not allow for that. At least not in any way that would be better than the original approach using the POSITION on OVRDBF. The CL would need SHARE(*YES) to reference the shared query ODP, a closed CL ODP is closed forever [for the given release], and the CL ODP prevents another query ODP due to CPF4205 "Shared open not allowed for query."

As I described in another message about using OPNQRYF, the query ODP could include all of the selections in just one query open, such that the first RCVF would effect the shared open and the first read, with each successive RCVF performing another read [from the one Query ODP, via the CLP shared ODP].

Regards, Chuck