I don't know about the most common method, but most CL code that I have seen
seem to omit the keyword, except where necessary.

Personally, however, I always use the prompter for two reasons.
First, I rarely remember the sequence of the keywords, even for frequently
used things like OVRDBF.
Second, I find the code more readily readable with the keywords (see #1).
Third, I want people to be able to easily understand my code. (I know, I
said two; I lied.)

I, also, try to line up things. For example, a string the DCLs will all
have the TYPE() LEN() and VALUE() keywords in the same columns. For me it's
easier to read than zigzagging through the definitions. Same for repeating
commands, such as CHGVAR if there are 2-n in a row. For what it's worth, I
do the same kind of alignment when doing EVALs in free format RPG.

Another thing: I always put the '+' for continuations in column 75, unless
the break is in the middle of a literal. Again, just easier to read.

I'll beg off on the etiquette question because I used to do the same thing
(prompt) to other programmers' CL at the software company, but only when I
had to change the line (see #1). I might, also, have to prompt to
understand which keyword was being defined, but just exited the prompter in
those cases (I think).

Jerry C. Adams
IBM i Programmer/Analyst
"Female Adelie Penguins Acquire Nest Material from Extrapair Males After
Engaging in Extrapair Copulations" - paper in the journal Auk (vol. 115, No.
2) by F.M. Hunter and L.S. Davis (i.e., they prostituted themselves for
rocks)
--
A&K Wholesale
Murfreesboro, TN