LOL - we are probably saying the same thing, basically. In both CAAC and ISV Advisory we've heard about these things, and there is always a bit of confusion over just what it means. Maybe in practical terms it ends up being all the same.

IBM does distinguish between the TR PTF group and other fixes/changes made at the same time. As to what is in the TR PTF group, here is a description from a wiki on developerworks -

"Future deliveries of new hardware-related and firmware-related function for IBM i 7.1 are planned as updates to the Technology Refresh PTF Group."

There's nothing here about DB2, for example, but they do try to deliver DB2 & other PTFs at the same time.

Elsewhere they say that a TR is LIC only - I think this still gets very confusing, so maybe it's just easiest to lump it all together.

All in all, it makes a less disruptive upgrade to our systems - that's a good thing.

Vern