We're upgrading to LTO5. In a few months we'll have a lot of LTO3 tapes.
The company we're buying them from will give us $5/tape for our old
LTO3's. We don't like that for 2 reasons:
1- We have to turn in all tapes within 45 days of invoice when we order
the LTO5's
2- Is $5/ea fair?
It's not like they discounted the LTO5's based on getting a bunch of
LTO3's cheap. Oh, their price on LTO5's is fair though.

We have about 360 LTO3's.
We'll need some time to dup and clear.
All tapes will be initialized with clear(*yes). Any that fail that will
be discarded. There's probably 6 that have failed a backup once with a
media error. We did a clear(*yes) and have reused them all since. (Most
of them were on the same drive which IBM later determined to be bad.)
No rush. We've not cut the PO's for the LTO5 drives yet.