De: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
En nombre de Marc Rauzier
Enviado el: sábado, 19 de mayo de 2012 02:27 a.m.
Para: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Asunto: Re: PTFing VIOS

Pete Helgren wrote:

And, all the co-req's for firmware updates to be compatible with the
VIOS version you are upgrading to have to be paid attention to. Right
down to the firmware the disk are running. That was my chief
complaint with my blade. There isn't a "one PTF's to rule them all"
option. Even a wizard or tool that would evaluate the firmware
updates needed on all the attached devices with a listing would be a
step in the right direction. My experience with the blade center found
it to be all piecemeal and slow.....so difficult in fact that I
haven't had the guts to update VIOS in 3 years...

You are right. I should have mentioned that you have to take care of all
components, and make sure the release they are all running is compatible. I
did not find yet a web site which clearly stands the supported relationship
between HMC, server firmware, VIOS and operating system.

Web sites like the following still miss one or the other.
http://www-
933.ibm.com/support/fixcentral/firmware/supportedCombinations
http://www-
912.ibm.com/s_dir/slkbase.NSF/1444e529a72ba96486256a6400681992/c69799b7
0a28578c8625712c004fe06b?OpenDocument&Highlight=0,master

However, the upgrade operation, by itself, is quite simple (just run
updateios command).

And also, like before doing any important action, it is necessary to take a
backup.

Maybe in a non BCS environment it is easier. You can only hope......

Never played with blades but even with classical systems like 770, you may
find surprises. I remember having huge troubles in the following environment
(in march 2012):

* last server firmware (AM730_066)
* last VIOS release (2.2.1.3) to provide NPIV for disk access
* up to date cum, groups, and single PTFs for IBM i 7.1
* last level 200307 device firmware for fiber chanel 5735 adapters (found on
FixCentral)
* external storage through uptodate Brocade SAN and uptodate DS8700 disks
systems
* PowerHA on IBM i partitions using Geographic mirroring (in our environment
Geographic mirroring was only a temporary solution, the target was to move
to external storage mirror)

The issue occured when, during a switch back, we was varying on an IASP on
an IBM i partition which was at this time the production partition.
All partitions which was sharing the same 5735 adapter through the VIOS got
a freeze status, loosing their disk access.
Rebooting the VIOS was successful to get back access to disks.
Removing 200307 firmware level to go back to the previous one was the
circumvention to prevent the issue to occur again.

--
Cordialement/Best regards
Marc Rauzier