From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2012 1:14 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: RMTCMD's security?

Interesting idea Gary. So what you are saying is that let's say you have SystemX, SystemY, SystemZ. And your concern is that a user on SystemX can get to SystemY and use that to initiate nasties on SystemZ. Others, like Scott and I, are arguing that you should be hardening SystemZ to stop attacks on it. Maybe your concern is that perhaps SystemZ was hardened.
Perhaps they have a strong exit point on it to only accept remote commands from the IP address associated with SystemY. Your argument is that you should then secure SystemY's use of remote commands so that they aren't used to leap frog into SystemZ. Am I right so far? Do I get credit for trying to understand your angle? I suppose one could go on that the full litany of commands that could be executed from there should be secured.
Including, but not limited to: TELNET, FTP and a host of api's and pase and qsHell applications available to attack SystemZ from SystemY. Then there's the defense in depth strategy. Not only do you secure access using certain techniques to SystemZ from only being initiated from SystemY, but you also secure them to only being allowed from certain individuals. For example user SAM can only run a remote command from SystemY.

I think Chuck was referring to the "full litany".

gotta go.

Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E