Great. I believe that answers my questions for now.
Thank you all for your responses.

-Kurt
-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jim Oberholtzer
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2012 10:51 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: iSCSI network questions

A VTL is what you need. In our case the SPHiNX is Fibre attached so it can be varied on/off on each partition. It also has a port that can replicated to another SPHiNX at the remote site. (data compression on the com line helps a lot there) Once the data is on the Remote unit, it can be restored to any system. Happens automatically.

As to the Intel data. If you just back up the network storage areas you'll get the images of the servers that can be restored. Some of my customers will also have an Intel backup package on the box to back up
file level data to the VTL as well. Either way it's all on the same
VTL system and can be replicated to the remote site.

Push to tape from the VTL as your audit and legal requirements push you to. The VTL does that for you assuming the tape is connected to the VTL instead of the system.

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects