lol...
that is almost identical to my list...
we have made a program that initializes tapes, and produces a matching bar code label...

On 5/11/2012 10:42 AM, rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
On a 3100 (before we changed them to random libraries and BRMS) we used
something like this
WRKCFGSTS *DEV TAP01
If it has a status of VARIED OFF then
1=Vary on
It should have a status of VARIED ON.
Regardless,
On the drive for GDIHQ2:
Enter (down and to the left arrow symbol), Control, Open I/O Station.
Insert V1 cartridge for GDHQ2. Manually close door.
Control, -, Move Cartridge, Source Type = Magazine 1, Source: I/O 1,
Dest Type = Drive,
Dest = Drive 1, - down to<Move>, enter.
X back to Control Menu
+ up to Open I/O Station, Enter
Insert V2 cartridge for GDIHQ2. Manually close door.
- down to Move Cartridge, Enter
Using - change Drive to Magazine 1, Enter
Source = I/O 1
- down to Dest Type
Magazine 1
Dest = Slot 1
- down to<Move>, Enter

CHKTAP TAP01
Write down volume id. __________________
First two characters should be H2, like Hq2. If not, call Peggy.

I'd only use barcoded tapes that all have their own unique tape volume
name also.

I'd take a good hard look at BRMS. I've been in your shoes. Heck we even
had the product and I fought it. Not anymore.