Hi Cyndi,

On 5/3/2012 12:00 PM, Cyndi Bradberry wrote:
The system CCSID is set to 65535, LangID=ENU. I have tried to change
the PF to CCSID = 037. I have recompiled the file, using a new source
file that has a CCSID = 037.

I don't understand this part. Why does it matter what the CCSID of the SRCFILE is? Surely, your goal should be to set the CCSID of the char/varchar columns... right?

No matter what I have tried, I can't get this to change. Any
suggestions ? I would eventually like to make this system
wide.....as it is silly to stay with the 65535.

I agree with your desire to change this!

However, please do understand that there are two CCSIDs involved. There's the CCSID of the data (specified on the column definition) and there's the CCSID to translate it _to_, which would be the one specified in the client configuration.

If _either_ of these is 65535, no translation is going to occur.

There are also certain field types (such as "for bit data" types, and BLOBs) that are explicitly binary, and shouldn't be translated in any case.

At the very least, is there something I can tell my PC guy to put
into his SQL statement to translate ?

It wouldn't go in the SQL statement... it would go in the driver configuration. If he's using IBM's ODBC drver, you can go into the ODBC administration and check/uncheck the "Translate CCSID 65535" checkbox.

In JDBC with the jtopen/jt400 driver, you can specify "translate binary=true" in the connection properties to accomplish the same thing.

But, there are so many different ways to run SQL statements from a PC, I don't know which one he's using (plus, I'm not familiar with all of them) so if he's using a different method, he should poke around in the docs and see if there's a way to enable something like that.

-SK