Graap, Kenneth wrote:

Has anyone implemented the V7.1 SystemMirror product yet?

Done for three IASP (each one using its own Movex release, even an old
one which is not officially supported to run in an IASP) on a
single partition last year.

In progress right now to move around 12 partitions using PowerHA V5R4
and Geographic Mirroring to SystemMirror V7R1 and IBM external storage
disk replication on another site.

I'm thinking about moving in that direction to create an HA image
of my production applications at a DR Site.

As Nathan said, the first step is moving your applications to IASP.
Then you will be able to setup a PowerHA SystemMirror environment. You
will have to select the appropriate disk replication way, depending on
existing or in project hardware in your company.
By the way, this is a true project.

I'd love to tap into any resources you may know of to help me
accomplish this.

If you do not find them (I am not sure there are plenty of such
resources on the web), maybe we can continue to discuss here.
But, IMO, you may want to get help with IBM or partners. My opinion is
that it is quite impossible to succeed for someone who never did such
an implementation in the past.

Right now I'm reading a 500 page RedBook - PowerHA SystemMirror
for IBM i Cookbook ...

Good idea :-)

It's a bit overwhelming... <smile>

Sorry about that. I was involved in writing this RedBook. It was
designed to be an implementation guide, and as there are several ways
to use the product, I can understand what you mean. If I am involved in
producing another release, I will try to debate with the authors about
how it could be less overwhelming ;-)

By the way, after doing some implementations this year, I know what we
missed in this Redbook, specifically in the Best Practices chapter. We
miss information about how to properly start and stop the cluster
services (during on-going activity like, for example, regular IPLs),
and to properly un-configure the cluster services.

Kenneth
Kenneth E. Graap
503.226.4211 x5537
http://www.linkedin.com/in/kennethgraap