From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Pete Massiello - ML
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 5:54 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion (midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx)
Subject: Lots of cool new stuff for IBM i

Today is a big announcement day on new features delivered in Technology Refresh 4 for IBM (Live Partition Mobility), but also lots of new Database enhancements, and new version of Java being delivered. There are so many cool things being announced today, that it is a shame that most people won't even notice this major announcement. New stuff with WebQuery as well. In the details you will find a new version of Client Access that is totally java based, which means you can run it on a MAC or Linux, or even windows by just deploying a JAR file (no need to install software on the PC anylonger). Long overdue!!!

Checkout http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/rep_ca/6/649/ENUSA12-0256/ENUSA12-0256.PDF for more details.

This is the problem with Technology Refreshes, there is so much cool stuff being announced and delivered, this should be a full release of the operating system. People don't and won't see all the new features and functions that IBM has delivered. Yes, the people on this list are very tied to the community and will know about all the new features and functions, but those people who aren't so connected will miss this entirely. Don't forget there is also some really interesting hardware announcements today, that are pretty exciting.

An interesting statement of direction this morning as well, that the release after 7.1 won't support the older HSL.RIO attached I/O Drawers on Power 6. These are for example 5094, 5095, and 0595. If you are currently on Power7 hardware, these aren't supported now, so no problem there. Which basically means if you still have a Power 6 (or Power5 I presume) with 5094, 5095, or 0595 you won't be able to go to the next release of IBM I 7.1. IBM is basically saying, move to POWER7.

--

Pete Massiello

iTech Solutions

http://www.itechsol.com

NOTICE: This electronic mail message and any files transmitted with it are intended
together with any attachment, may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
Any unauthorized review, use, printing, saving, copying, disclosure or distribution