I purchased the SDMC VM to get used to it and discovered I don't like it.

It's slower, uglier, missing function, more complicated, has higher resource requirements, doesn't do POWER5 or the POWER7 "C" models. What's to like? For the most part what SDMC does you could do with Systems Director. If you have use for that, that's fine but HMC was single purpose, focused, and functional.

And really, who wants their system managed by something that's running as a virtual machine in some other hardware? That meant being stuck with the SDMC hardware appliance anyway which was better as an HMC!

Long live the HMC!