I guess it could be a logistics nightmare, but it seemed to be one of those
things that came about over years. The primary reason because, in the past,
there was not sufficient disk space to hold all of the data. Later, when
disk space existed, it was easier just to retain the multiple library
structure and build a logical over all of them.

I had sales history in multiple libraries and had to add or change fields on
several occasions. It was easy to write the conversion program and just
pass it over each version.

But that was a one-man shop and a not very complex system.

Here we have a sales history going back to 1999. I have toyed with the idea
of actually splitting it off into two tables: one for the current year+last
year and another one for everything else. Reason? Because queries, which
is the most common usage over these tables, run real slow now. (Of course,
we are on an old Model 250 running V5R1 so what could we expect?!)

Jerry C. Adams
IBM i Programmer/Analyst
Anyone can be elected governor. I'm proof of that. - Joe Frank Harris,
Georgia governor
--
A&K Wholesale
Murfreesboro, TN