I'm having trouble working out which device you are trying to connect
- a HMC or a LAN Console. The process you need to follow depends on
what you are actually trying to do.

A key question is which console device did you specify when you
ordered the machine - it will come configured expecting that kind of
console.

Some basic guidelines follow but you should search up the topics in
the info center or get IBM to assist you if time is a problem. They
are generally pretty good about assisting with a new box in my
experience.

If it's a HMC you should pull the power on the box; get the HMC
configured and operational; connect the system i to the HMC1 socket
and a network adapter on the HMC; configure the LAN Adapter connected
to the i to an address on the same network as the default HMC address;
then plug power into the i. The HMC should autodiscover the i if it is
configured for HMC. Therre is no need to power the i beyond standby
state (the green power light flashing). You can do the fancier network
stuff between the hmc and your i later. Be aware that f you plug the
iseries into your network and have a DHCP server (and who doesn't) the
default HMC address will get messed up and you will need to discover
it

If you want to use LAN Console you will need to preconfigure the
connection on a PC then plug the lan cable from the PC to one of the
ethernet sockets on the i (T1 - T4) The details for LAN Console are
pretty self explanatory but to get an initial connection you should
configure an IP address on your PC and IP address in the same range on
the i and make sure to configure the PCs network card to use the PC IP
address as the gateway. Ideally you will use a separate management
network for the LAN Console. Again, you can do the fancier network
stuff later it helps to get the connection working first so you know
it is good. Once Ops console is configured on the PC and you are wired
up IPL the iseries, i.e. push the power on button once the green light
is flashing so the green light goes solid and the box starts powering.

If you get code A9002000 it means the machine is unable to find the
console; you will be able to determine what kind of console the
machine is configured for at this point and also change it if
necessary so this is not a total waste of time. Search on 65+21 in the
infocenter for more information; the midrange.com archives also have
some stuff about this.

Hope this helps a little.