On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 11:20 AM, Vern Hamberg <vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
APL is emulator-speak for EBCDIC hex
codes - who uses APL anymore?  Ducking!

Keeping track of abbreviations, especially IBM's abbreviations, is not
an easy task. The only thing I think of when I see APL is the
incredibly terse, special-character-filled programming language.

As for keyboard mapping, my preferences are pretty weird. The very
first thing I did was make the Right Ctrl key do [enter] and the Enter
key do [field exit]. This seems to be a very basic, fundamental need
for some of the folks who cut their teeth on genuine dumb terminals.
(Other people make the transition to Enter as [enter] just fine.)

The rest of my mappings are an amalgam of dumb terminal and Windows.
I have Ctrl+X/C/V for cut, copy, paste. Shift+Enter is [newline].
End is [erase eof] (is that the default? I can't remember anymore).
My weirdest are probably Home for [rule] (and I have it set NOT to
follow the cursor) and Shift+arrow keys as [fast <direction>] (jump
three spaces in the given direction).

I use SysReq a lot, so I've made Esc (whether by itself or with Shift) do that.

Another weird thing I do (this is so weird that I am literally the
only person I know of who does this) is not keyboard-related, but is
very much Client-Access-related: I set my font to fixed, with
automatically adjustable window size, so that when I am in a
132-column display (like SEU or DSPPFM or viewing a spool file), my
window is extremely wide (almost the whole width of my screen, but
only a bit more than half the height), and when in 80-column mode, the
window is small. In both cases, the text is a very comfortable and
readable size.

John