SWAG: For whatever reason the CHKPWD processing dislikes the data that the user has entered for the PASSWORD() value, and the CLP is coded as effectively the following loop which could be [incorrectly] perceived as a "hang":

chkpwd:
?chkpwd ??password()
/*monmsg (cpf2364) exec(do) */
/* this really needs to be handled first\separately.? */
monmsg (cpf2362 cpf6801 cpf2360) exec(do)
/* incorrect pwd typed, or PFkey F12 or F3 pressed */
/* including range message cpf2360 is too generic */
/* because a cpf2364 requires an alternate effect */
rcvmsg *same *pgmq *excp rmv(*yes)
goto chkpwd /* repeat until valid pwd supplied */
enddo
enddo

Further comment inline to the quoted message...