From: Jerry Draper <midrangel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mar 28, 2012 1:46 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RPGILE programmers and the future of iSeries

How can executive management justify keeping iSeries systems when the
pool of RPG programmers are of retirement age or so?

Is that a myth promulgated by *IX PHP folk?

At one place I am hearing that one justification for moving off of an
iSeries is that no "younger" programmers are interested in learning RPG
or it derivitives (ie: RPGILE).

Anyone else encountered this argument?

My view is that RPGILE is just another coding system with a learnable
syntax and that much of the user experience is via front ends written in
java or .net.

The iSeries is a great db engine serving up data to whoever wants it (or
is authorized to it). Tried, true, and trustworthy.

If we are all going to retire at the same moment will the iSeries go poof?

Jerry