I'd have simplified that a tad:

CHAR(case when client_act = 'S' then 'S' else ' ' end, 1) AS NEWFIELD1

(Actually, I'd forgo the use of the CHAR( ..., 1) too - overkill - but if
you want a guaranteed fixed-length variable, CHAR( ..., len) is your friend.

I cannot envision any circumstance in which that will not do what you want.
But maybe I missed a requirement?

Dennis Lovelady
"The minute you read something you can't understand, you can almost be sure
it was drawn up by a lawyer."
-- Will Rogers

Use CAST, as in :

CAST (value(max(case when client_act = ''S'' then ''S'' else '' ''
end),''
'') AS CHAR(1) ) AS NEWFIELD1

HTH,

Luis Rodriguez
IBM Certified Systems Expert - eServer i5 iSeries
--

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Stone, Joel <Joel.Stone@xxxxxxxxxx>