On 16-Mar-2012 12:48 , Paul Therrien wrote:
This may be so, but I would have agreed with Jerry that setting
QAUTOVRT to 0 would prevent the automatic configuration of virtual
devices.

I see Jerry already discovered this, so for the archives.... not that many people [other than Jerry] will still find the v5r1 information all that relevant.

To prevent the automatic creation, after changing QAUTOVRT=0, any existing devices under\associated with the Virtual WorkStation *VWS controllers with naming QPACTL## must be made unavailable to device selection. Deleting the device descriptions using DLTDEVD [after VRYCFG *DEV *OFF] *before* the device selection for an unnamed device was attempted would prevent any new devices being created; obviously none available for selection. After that, the requests would fail to start due to an inability both to select and create a device [CPF8940 I believe], because there are no additional devices available for selection beyond the value allowed by QAUTOVRT; i.e. a situation for which a new device would actually need to be created, to satisfy the device selection request. Some other actions that may serve to similarly limit the ability of the device selection for any remaining devices:
- authorization revoked from user QTCPIP to the remaining *VRTDSP configuration objects of type *DEVD attribute DSPVRT on QPACTL##?
- ensure the device is already in use when device selection runs; impractical in a general sense, but likely sufficient for testing.
- vary off the devices? I doubt this works, as I believe device selection effects varyon as needed [just as dlt\re-crt or chgdevd to match type and model] except when the device had been varied off per "disabled" due to invalid signon attempts.

_i Managing virtual devices i_
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/v5r1/ic2924/index.htm?info/rzal3/rzal3managevd.htm
"... you must manually delete any virtual devices that exceed the QAUTOVRT limit. If you delete devices to enforce a smaller QAUTOVRT value, begin by deleting the devices from the controller with the highest QPACTLnn value. ..."