IIRC, the overlay has an offset and the text has a margin. The overlay offset moves relative to the text margin-- the overlay starts at the position of the text margin. You add them together to see where the overlay starts.

The overlay should have little or no 'white space' at the top and left sides; this forces the overlay 'up' and 'left.' Now when you specify 'down' and 'across' parameters, you're starting as far in the corner as possible.

There is also a data area that de-couples the offset from the margin-- they both start at the upper-left corner of the print space. This is a SYSTEM-WIDE change; everything is decoupled!

QPRTVALS System Printer Options Data Area (Position 4 is the one of interest here)

See also http://www.guetlich.de/guwa/site97/gn/tips/8003615.htm <-- this lists the following information in a different order

| Data area . . . . . . . : QPRTVALS
| Library . . . . . . . : QUSRSYS
| Type . . . . . . . . . : *CHAR
| Length . . . . . . . . : 256
| Text . . . . . . . . . : Miscellaneous Printer Controls
|
| Value
| Offset *...+....1....+....2....+....3....+....4....+....5
| 0 'Y YYY '
| 50 ' '
| 100 ' '
| 150 ' '
| 200 ' '
| 250 ' '
| Bottom

The "b" in values is a Blank!!!

Position Values Our Value Use

1+2 "Y"N"b" "Y"
" " Removing no print border adjustments made by the writer for printers using AFP. Check the printer device description to see if the advance function printing parameter is set to *YES.
CHGDTAARA DATAARA(QUSRSYS/QPRTVALS (1 2)) VALUE('Y')
To complete the function, changes may be needed in the printer settings to change the logical printing area.
Examples:
a. 4028: Set the printer to EDGE-TO-EDGE printing.
If model AS1 - Set switch 14 to 01
Set switch 13 to 00
If model NS1 - Set switch 38 to 01
Set switch 36 to 00
Set switch 35 to 01
b. 3912/16: Go into the Print Offset menu on the 3116 printer setup and change the X and Y offsets to 0.

3 "Y"N"b" " " "Y" Makes d/t3835 Model 2 and want it to print the same as the d/t3835 Model 1 with the 1/6-inch print shift top and left margin.

4 "Y"N"b" "Y" "Y" Separates the Overlay Offset from the Margin (text) settings. Overlays and Text both start in the upper-left-corner of the document and move Down and Across independently
" " Links the overlay to the margin settings. The text is positioned using the Margin settings. Overlays are positioned relative to the Margin; the overlay position is the sum of the Margin settings + the Overlay Offset settings

5 "Y"N"b" "Y" "Y" makes *COR printouts have a 1/4-inch top margin instead of 1/2- inch

6 "Y"N"b" "Y" Controlling the system font selection on 3935, 3130, 3160 and some 3900s (available at R310 and above).

The AS/400 system always selects a scaleable font for printing with MULTIUP or computer output reduction or when the spooled file attributes specify FONT(*CPI). If the font identifier in the printer device description is between 300 and 511 (inclusive), this font is selected and scaled to an appropriate point size. If the font in the device description is not between 300 and 511, the AS/400 system uses font 304.

Font 304 is a scaleable Gothic font that is supported by these printers for almost all SBCS code pages except Arabic, Cyrillic Greek, Hebrew, Latin 2/3/4/5, and Symbols. Another recommended font is 416, a scaleable Courier Roman font that is supported for almost all SBCS code pages except Japanese Katakana.
To activate this option:
CHGDTAARA DTAARA(QUSRSYS/QPRTVALS (6 1)) VALUE('Y')

To change the default to something other than 304, on the OS/400 command line type the following:
CHGDEVPRT DEVD(printername) FONT(416 12.0)

7 "Y"N"b" " " In V5R3 the CHRSIZ DDS keyword was allowed in the DDS source for all DEVTYPE(*SCS) printer files.

This was a change needed so that all systems could be DBCS-capable. Prior to V5R3, the CHRSIZ DDS keyword used in DEVTYPE(*SCS) printer files on a SBCS system was ignored. Since V5R3, when the spooled files are printed to SBCS printers (that do not use host print transform), MSGCPF5261 RC10050228 and MSGCPD4033 are issued repeatedly in the writer joblog.

Code has been added to restore the old behavior of CHRSIZ DDS keyword used in DEVTYPE(*SCS) printer files at a system-wide level by use of QUSRSYS/QPRTVALS data area. Key in the following command to put the character 'Y' in the seventh byte of the data area:
CHGDTAARA DTAARA(QUSRSYS/QPRTVALS (7 1)) VALUE('Y')

Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx