Setting up the HMC (7.3.3), Service Management, Manage Serviceable Event Notification, for e-mail.

E-mail may be enough, but on the same screen I noticed the SNMP Trap Configuration tab. We are installing a Windows based product (Orion from SolarWinds) to keep tabs on the rest of the Windows based network.

Anyone using SNMP to keep tabs on the iSeries?

Or network guy is asking if he can poll the HMC using SNMP, which is what he will be doing to check that other servers are alive and well. It looks like in HMC SNMP setup the only event that can be logged or monitored is when a problem log is created.

The help is kind of sparse, and it looks like the IP address is where you send the SNMP message to, which is the inverse of polling. Help says “Specify the TCP/IP address of the location where you want SNMP trap messages sent when selected events occur”.

The Community Name help says “Specify the identifier that is used to verify that a request for SNMP traps is valid. A community name is created in the SNMP configuration to set up to receive only those traps configured with a matching community name.
The community name that you specify here must exactly match the community name in the SNMP configuration to be able to process the SNMP trap information.”

Network guys think some kind of public/private key is needed. Maybe…