From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jerry C. Adams
Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 7:20 AM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: Remote Site Cannot Connect

Over all I'm pretty happy being *just* a programmer these days; no
management problems/concerns. But I have to admit that, at least in
situations like this, when I was a manager, I could just growl and say, "Do
it, damnit!".

The cranky (anti-System i) admin is my boss' son. Not much chance of
circumventing that roadblock, or installing "unapproved" software. After he
installed AVG anti-virus software on all of the PCs, *all* of the stores had
issues connecting. Naturally he blamed it on the System i, even after we
figured out that AVG was blocking us. But in that case, the message issued
wasn't from PC5250.

Since I can connect to the System i via Telnet running from a DOS command
box, I doubt that there's a firewall issue. Wouldn't the firewall have
blocked Telnet, too?

I spoke to the store manager a few minutes ago. She's going to re-boot the
PC when she can. Then she'll call me, and we'll see what we have.

Jerry C. Adams
IBM i Programmer/Analyst
They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that the ones who
drink milkshakes don't win many ball games. - Casey Stengel
--
A&K Wholesale
Murfreesboro, TN