Are you SURE you had a shared console session started on the HMC and then
connected remotely to it? This has bit me hard. First time was at Dallas
when I was trying to use a remote shared console session at COMMON to set
up a new lpar at home. I started initializing the disk and loading the
lic when I would kill the session to go to a session. abort. I finally
had the operator start a shared console session and that worked good. I
could attach to that remotely and when I killed it the local one stayed
running. The clue is this, if you have to enter your shared console
session password twice (for the confirmation) when attaching remotely
you're doing it wrong. If you do it right then the other thing which can
kill the shared console session is if you IPL not just the lpar, but the
system itself. Since we've actually done this remotely we've added a KVM
to start the shared console session. The KVM is obnoxious enough that you
really just want to use it to start the shared console and get the heck
off. Another possibility is a coworker who likes to kill sessions on the
HMC because the clutter confuses him, and when he does start a session he
likes to start it "dedicated" because that sounds so much better. I truly
pray that he gets over his health issues and can enjoy his retirement. He
is a nice guy.