If you know Pat Botz, he wrote a lot of EIM - if not the whole thing. He'd have ideas of its use and maybe how it fits with other mechanisms.

Regards
Vern

On 2/26/2012 6:52 PM, Shannon ODonnell wrote:
That's good to know Vern!

Does EIM also work with OpenID that companies such as Google use?

http://code.google.com/googleapps/domain/sso/saml_reference_implementation.html

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Vern Hamberg
Sent: Sunday, February 26, 2012 1:18 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Software for signons on iSeries and network

EIM is absolutely no extra cost - it has been a part of the OS since V5R2. It uses the LDAP server (IBM Directory) on the iSeries/i. Kerberos support has been around since V4-something or other.

This is a fantastic solution for single-sign-on - there is no need for synchronizing passwords, because they are never passed around the enterprise. Authentication is completely kerberos-based - Windows Authentication in a Windows domain IS Kerberos. And things like 5250 and Apache and network file shares and ODBC, even jt400 - can recognize that Kerberos was used. Then authorization only is based on profiles. Very cool!!

EIM is fairly easy to set up. It's essentially a lookup table - it maps, e.g., Windows users to iSeries user profile names. No passwords are stored.

The Kerberos support can be tricky - there be minefields out there. But I know of a company around here, where their network guy (not an i-er) got it all working.

Frank - if you want, I'm happy to discuss it with you - I've been working intimately with this stuff for the last several months. Call me at 888.rjs.soft - toll-free - ask for Vern. I won't try to sell you anything, I promise!!

Vern