This is where the HMC shines brightest - see the control panel from home.

Perhaps it's just me but there are several things here that would cause me to be in the presence of the machine during such an IPL:
1) A long time between IPLs. In your case over a year. Not saying over a year is by itself is a bad thing however.
2) Not knowing with certainty if there were PTFs waiting to apply.
3) Not being certain what the control panel settings were.
4) Not knowing if my startup job was current. THose who IPL frequently exercise them, but quite often with rare IPLs they are not properly maintained.
5) Not knowing for certain there were no hardware issues (i.e. failed drive, cache battery etc.)

Most importantly with the system having been up for over a year I wouldn't have used the power menu to restart the system in his way. Because the system would shut down and then cool it's very possible that a drive or two has died while the system was down. This isn't as common as it once was but a large percentage of hardware issues still happen when power is applied. A PWRDWNSYS RESTART(*YES) would have less risk.

Finally with the system having been up for that long it might have taken more than 1/2 hour for it to complete power down and thus would miss the power up schedule entry completely. At least in this case you would find the system powered off and a simple button press is all that's needed.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis