Hi Åke,

I agree with Vern. The system doesn't really use tables anymore, it uses a CCSID translation. Tables are still there, of course, for backward compatibility... (and I guess they might be used somewhere under the covers?) But programmers doing translation (including those at IBM who write the database functionality) don't need work with tables, they just call the iconv() API and specify the from/to CCSID values.

The system automatically figures out how to get from one CCSID to another (even if there isn't a specific table) and makes the conversion...