I don't believe the SQL is going to give you what you think it is...

I'd do something like what you describe like so...

Select aa,bb,cc,dd
from parts inner join secmast
on secmast.loc = parts.loc
and secmast.type = parts.type
where
parts.desc like ?
and secuser= ?
and secmast.loc in (?,' ' )
and secmast.type in (?,' ' )

This assumes that "all locs" and "all types" are passed as blanks

In most cases, it's better to keep your WHERE criteria separate from
the JOIN criteria.

Also if PARTS is a smaller table than SECMAST, you might be better
served by having the WHERE look like:
and parts.loc in (?,' ' )
and parts.type in (?,' ' )

HTH,