I've found with 6.1 and above you can do an ENDSBS *ALL and, eventually
you will get the message that all subsystems were ended. It's a lie.
Because, if you do not ENDTCP first it will still be running - just like
it says in the MTU. It's one of those things that one may pass over in
the MTU thinking they can't really mean that, after all, an ENDSBS *ALL
always brings the system down into restricted state, right? But, yes,
they do mean that. ENDTCP must be run prior to running the ENDSBS *ALL. I
lobbied hard, early on, to get that stressed in the MTU. It's been long
enough that I forget what problem it was causing me. Normally after
ending the system to a restricted state we run a full RCLSTG followed by a
full system save so I am sure it affected one or both of those operations.
The third link below specifically mentions save issues with not ending
tcp/ip first.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas2a68debf42e0d564a862575a2003c97a4
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/index.jsp?topic=%2Frzarm%2Frzarmrsmnopt.htm