Jeff Young asks...

All,
Is there any way to automaticaly start a job based on when a file is placed
in a directory on the IFS?

(snipped)

You could examine use of the exit point for new files.
http://ibmsystemsmag.com/ibmi/administrator/security/Exit-Programs--An-Emerging-System-Security-Option/

command WRKREGINF.
page down to

QIBM_cPWFS0100 *YES File Server

Add an exit program that does whatever you need. I would insulate it from in-line processing by, say, adding the file name to a data queue and using an entirely separate process to deal with it.

I'd also concur with an earlier post about you wanting to ensure that *all* of a file has been received before beginning processing. A fine old standard would be to send a second file with batch totals - number of records or file size or ?? that can be validated before you process the (broken) data.

This document may contain confidential information intended for the addressee only. Any views or opinions presented do not necessarily represent those of Newcastle Building Society or its subsidiary companies, hereinafter referred to as NBS Group.

If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, or reliance upon this E-mail is prohibited. If you have received this document in error, please notify the sender so that NBS Group may arrange for its proper delivery. All e-mails are scanned for viruses and other unacceptable content, which may result in non-delivery of a small proportion of e-mails. Anyone sending urgent/important e-mails should therefore confirm delivery.

NBS Group does not enter into contracts by means of Internet or e-mail and staff are not authorised to enter into contracts in this way.

Newcastle Building Society introduces to Newcastle Financial Services Limited (NFSL). NFSL is an appointed representative of Openwork Limited, which is authorised and regulated by the FSA. Newcastle Building Society is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority (www.fsa.gov.uk/register/) and is entered in the Financial Services Authority Register under Registration No. 156058.

Web site: www.newcastle.co.uk