You may want to have the sender send another file (a trigger file,
maybe with the same name, different extension) after the target file
has been transferred. Once you see the trigger file, you know the
target file transfer is done. You can also have the sender transfer
the target file with a .tmp extension (or something), and the sender
can rename the file when the transfer is done.